Wednesday, March 12, 2014

1978 Collage: Musical Scrapbook of the Seventies (University of Iowa Hawkeye Marching Band) LP Record

Sometimes you go home empty handed. And when you plan a whole trip to Iowa City to check out thrift stores it is even more of a bummer. I still buy stuff, but no black and gold is depressing. So getting back to Muscatine I decide to stop and check out the Goodwill just to try and make myself feel better. No such luck. No glassware, no shirts, no pictures or posters. So I go to my fallback section; vinyl records. I love my music and vinyl sounds incredible. 9 times out of 10 the only vinyl available is old Kenny Rodgers or Barbra Streisand  (bleh) albums.

So I dug anyway, and I was stunned when I saw a Tigerhawk. It was an album called "Collage: The University of Iowa Hawkeye Marching Band." I quickly paid and went straight home to get the album onto my record player. Putting the needle down, "On Iowa" crackled through the speakers loud and clear. Side one is mostly Hawkeye pep songs, and side two is mostly pop tunes of the time (1970s) and marching band standards. The only song missing I find strange is the Victory Polka. Seriously?





Price: $1.38 (Price on the Record says $7.00)
Bought At: Muscatine Goodwill
Condition: Good condition, slight scuffs on edges
Going For: Well, I was seriously shocked at this one. It took me forever to find someone selling one. Anywhere. I finally found a website called MusicStack where it was going for $54-$113! Cha-Ching.


Well, since there is no Victory Polka on the album, lets have one here shall we? Cheers.

Go Hawks!

P.S. If anyone from the 1976-79 Hawkeye Marching Band reads this, bravo. You were awesome!











No comments:

Post a Comment